Trident MGT 501 Module 1 Case
Trident MGT 501 Module 1 Case
Module 1 – Case
MANAGING INDIVIDUAL BEHAVIOR
Clear organizational goals can drive employee efforts throughout the organization. So can the organization’s values. Quicken Loans was named number 12 in Fortune Magazine’s 2015 rankings for 100 Best Companies to Work For in America (the 12thyear they have been on the list). Why? In part because it is a values-driven firm with strong corporate goals that translate into how work gets done on a daily basis.
Read about Quicken Loans in the following research report:
Quicken Loans. (2015) In Great Places to Work. Retrieved from.greatrated.com/quicken-loans”>http://us.greatrated.com/quicken-loans
Now, check out the Quicken Loans website to get a look at the company from an “official” point of view. Scroll down to “Why you should use Quicken Loans.” Be sure to click on the link to “Our Values.”
Quicken Loans: About us. (2015) Retrieved from .quickenloans.com/about”>http://www.quickenloans.com/about
You may also want to review the following OPN website:
Organizational Goals Can Be Powerful Energizers. (n.d.). U.S. Office of Personnel Management..opm.gov/perform/articles/2000/apr00-7.asp”>http://www.opm.gov/perform/articles/2000/apr00-7.asp
Remember to follow Trident’s guidelines for master’s-level writing. (See .trident.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Well-Written-Paper.pdf”>The Student Guide to Writing a High-Quality Academic Paper.)
In a 4- to 5-page essay, address the following:
- Define the problem: Discuss Quicken Loans’ key goals and values. Conduct research about working at Quicken Loans to get more than just the company’s view from its website. For example, the site “Glass Door” contains pro-and-con reviews of a number of companies by current and former employees. (Note: Do not use Wikipedia as a source. It is acceptable to use Wikipedia as a starting point to get background information, but always verify the information from a more reliable source.)
- Analyze the cause: How do Quicken Loans’ corporate values and goals concerning employees, customers, and the business affect the job satisfaction and motivation of the people who work there? To answer this question, analyze the effect Quicken Loans’ goals and values have on job satisfaction and motivation by using the Job Characteristics Model (from the Background materials). Bring in what the Job Characteristics Model teaches us by using examples from the Quicken Loans’ approach. Emphasize skill variety, task identity, task significance, autonomy, and feedback (job characteristics). Then make the argument (providing evidence from employee comments or surveys) that this affects experienced meaningfulness, responsibility, and knowledge of results (critical psychological states) and what the model says the results are.
- Propose a solution: Is this approach something every business should adopt? Why or why not? Defend your answer in terms of the Job Characteristics Model. Be sure to explain whyyou recommend the solution(s) that you do. Your recommendations must be based on evidence (what you learned from the Job Characteristics Model and other sources).
Overall, you must demonstrate that you have read, understood, and can apply the background materials by citing them in support of your analysis.
Your paper will be evaluated using the criteria as stated in the Case rubric. The following is a review of the rubric criteria:
- Assignment-Driven: Does the paper fully address all aspects of the assignment? Is the assignment addressed accurately and precisely using sound logic? Does the paper meet minimum length requirements?
- Critical Thinking: Does the paper demonstrate graduate-level analysis, in which information derived from multiple sources, expert opinions, and assumptions has been critically evaluated and synthesized in the formulation of a logical set of conclusions? Does the paper address the topic with sufficient depth of discussion and analysis?
- Business Writing: Is the essay logical, well organized and well written? Are the grammar, spelling, and vocabulary appropriate for graduate-level work? Are section headings included? Are paraphrasing and synthesis of concepts the primary means of responding, or is justification/support instead conveyed through excessive use of direct quotations?
- Effective Use of Information: Does the submission demonstrate that the student has read, understood and can apply the background materials for the module? If required, has the student demonstrated effective research, as evidenced by student’s use of relevant and quality (library?) sources? Do additional sources used provide strong support for conclusions drawn, and do they help in shaping the overall paper?
- Citing Sources: Does the student demonstrate understanding of APA Style of referencing, by inclusion of proper citations (for paraphrased text and direct quotations) as appropriate? Have all sources (e.g., references used from the Background page, the assignment readings, and outside research) been included, and are these properly cited? Have all sources cited in the paper been included on the References page?
- Timeliness: Has the assignment been submitted to TLC (Trident’s learning management system) on or before the module’s due date?