MATH 092 DeVry Complete Week Discussions Package
MATH 092 DeVry Complete Week Discussions Package
MATH 092 DeVry Week 1 Discussion
My Math Lab (graded)
You will be making extensive use of My Math Lab (MML) to complete the assignments listed in order on the Course Schedule. The help resources available inside the Homework questions and the Study Plan exercises ought to be used in the following order: first Textbook, then Video or Animation (if available), then View an Example, and then Help Me Solve This.
a. How and when do you plan to make use of the MML Study Plan?
b. Please choose at least one of the other many help features and resources available in MML (e.g., Help Me Solve This, View an Example, Sample Tests) and explain how you plan to utilize that to help you to succeed.
c. If you have any math questions as you start using MML, you can also ask them in this forum, and help your classmates out by answering their questions. If you do choose to ask a math question, a high quality question is one where you show what you tried, explain what you were thinking, and say what the correct answer was that you were unable to get. You can ask questions about any section that you are working on.
The discussion is worth a total of 19 points this week. Posts are graded as follows: +5 points for each high quality post (you should have 3 or 4 posts per week), or +3 or +4 points for low or medium quality posts. A high quality post adds something new to the discussion. You will get credit for posts on MML, for questions of any kind, and for posts helping other students with math. A post that just says, “me too” or “I agree” without adding something new or saying what was helpful counts as 0 points.
Please reply to other students whenever possible. For example, if you want to talk about the MML “view an example,” and someone else has already talked about it, reply to their post, instead of starting a whole new thread. +4 Points for posting by Wednesday at midnight.
MATH 092 DeVry Week 2 Discussion
Simplification and Solving (graded)
We know that when simplifying, we must follow the algebraic order of operations. The order of operations is as follows. First, perform any operations containing parentheses. If the parentheses are “nested”, work from the inside out. Second, perform any operations with exponents. Third, perform any operations involving multiplication and division working from left to right. Finally, work operations with addition and subtraction again from left to right. On the other hand, when we solve an equation, we go in the opposite of the order of operations! Watch my PowerPoint (attached here) on how and why! For this discussion, please post at least three times on one or more of the following topics:
1. Set up and solve an equation, or simplify an expression. For each step, say why you are doing that step.
2. Responding to my thread on solving inequalities. If you are asking a question about or solving an inequality, please post it in this thread, do not start a new thread. 3. Respond to at least one other student’s comment or question, or verify that they have solved the equation or inequality correctly. Remember that your first post should be before Wednesday at midnight.
MATH 092 DeVry Week 3 Discussion
Algebra Concepts (graded)
Communication is considered an important component of mathematics education in order for deep learning to occur. Choose a specific algebra concept that you think you understand well, and explain it in your own words. Then, present a math problem for your classmates to solve making use of this concept.
MATH 092 DeVry Week 4 Discussion
Math Help (graded)
Topic 1: math help. Free, live, online tutoring and more is available from Smarthinking by clicking on “Tutor Source” under Course Home. Post your ideas for making good use of Smarthinking to help you succeed in the course. Remember that you also have the new Professor Live, available Wednesday and Thursday (Noon to 10 p.m. Central Time) and Saturday and Sunday (Noon to 11:59 p.m. Central Time), via the Adobe Connect, .adobeconnect.com/plp”>https://join.adobeconnect.com/plp. Please let us know if you’ve tried either one, and tell us your experiences with it.
Topic 2 slope. This week, we’ll do two only two assignment sections, but they are pretty tough ones! I’ve attached one powerpoint here, on slope, that should help. Please take a look and comment or ask questions on slope as needed.
Topic 3: equations of lines and fractions. I will post a powerpoint about equations of lines and fractions, for when you get to the second section for the week. Please view the powerpoint and respond to my post with questions or comments.
MATH 092 DeVry Week 5 Discussion
Problem Solving (Graded)
This week, you are studying for the second test, taking the test, then going on to the next two sections. I am again attaching a powerpoint I hope will help (below this box).
1. Test taking strategies: how do you make use of the study plan in MML, tutoring, and other study strategies?
2. Solve an application (“word”) problem from the text, Homework, or Study Plan showing all of your work. For each step, provide your reasoning. How did you start? What prompted you to try a particular strategy? Did you try any other strategies that did not work? How did you check your answer?
Important reminders about the test and pretest:
- Take the first attempt early in the week. This allows you to use the study plan to review during the week. The study plan will give you problems like the ones you got wrong, and can be accessed under course home (“mystudyplan”) above the week 1 tab, on the left side of the page (not in MML, in ecollege, where we do our discussions).
- Review your first attempt before trying a new attempt. To review what you got wrong, and to see the correct answers, click on “my gradebook,” on the left side of the page, above the week 1 tab (not in MML, in ecollege, where we do our discussions).
- The review is set up to only allow you three attempts. If you don’t pass it with an 80%, I will give you another attempt if you work the study plan problems. Please work the study plan and review what you got wrong before emailing me.
MATH 092 DeVry Week 6 Discussion
Math Mistakes (Graded)
Choose a common mistake, or a mistake you have made, doing an algebra problem. Show the incorrect method, explain why it does not work, and then show how to do it correctly.
MATH 092 DeVry Week 7 Discussion
Course Objectives (Graded)
Choose a Terminal Course Objective (TCO) from the Syllabus that you’ve learned in the course and solve a homework or Study Plan problem that relates to that TCO. Be sure to include the TCO in your post.