HCA 497 ENTIRE COURSE HEALTH CARE STUDIES CAPSTONE
U.S. Health Care System vs. Other Countries.
Compare and contrast the U.S. health care system with that of another country. What are some of the major advantages and disadvantages inherent of both systems? Explain whether the selected country could learn from the U.S. health care system or if the U.S. could learn from the other country.
Health Care Trends and Challenges. Evaluate the impact of at least two major trends that occurred in the U.S. health care system during the twentieth century that continue to significantly influence the access to health care in the twenty-first century. Identify the population groups that are affected the most and explain why this is the case. How have these trends challenged health care organizations and their leaders?
The Aging Population. Analyze what you believe to be three of the most significant challenges that health care providers face in the delivery of health care services to the aging population. Prioritize your selections (i.e., one, two, and three) and justify the rankings that you assigned to each challenge. Research statistical data on the topic and include at least one statistic from a credible source to support your opinions.
Quality Management Techniques. Evaluate the effectiveness of two or three quality management techniques that are practiced in health care organizations. What types of health care organizations and populations would benefit most from these techniques and why? What are some of the roles that non-clinical health care professionals play in the quality of care within health care organizations?
Quality Oversight in Health Care Organizations. Quality of care and patient safety has become a driving force in the delivery of health care in the twenty-first century. Your paper should address the following:
- Explain the role of quality oversight in health care organizations and elaborate on how non-clinical personnel contribute to the process.
- Identify and describe three stakeholder organizations or agencies that contribute to quality oversight within health care organizations in a substantial way. Include at least one government and one non-government organization/agency that focuses on quality of care within the health care field.
- Answer the following questions for each organization/agency:
- How does this organization/agency contribute to quality of care and patient safety?
- What specific types of oversight does this organization/agency provide?
- What are some of the repercussions that a health care organization could face for violating the standards of the organization/agency?
- Compare and contrast the three organizations/agencies.
- Who are some of the other stakeholders involved in promoting quality of care in health care and what role do they play?
- Given the vast amount of mandatory regulations imposed upon the health care industry, explain why a health care organization might subject itself to participate in voluntary accreditation activities.
The Rising Costs of Health Care. From the perspective of a health care provider (e.g., doctor, hospital, long-term health care facility, pharmaceutical company), evaluate the three most significant economic drivers that have contributed to the rising costs in health care. Explain why the health care provider might hold this position.
Financial Effects of Governmental Regulations. Explain and evaluate two mandated or proposed policies from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (C.M.S.) or any other branch of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in the past three years that could have a substantial financial effect on a health care provider (e.g., doctor, hospital, long-term health care facility, pharmaceutical company). Describe the policies and explain the potential effects. Is the effect positive or negative? Explain your answer.
Cost Containment and Malpractice Claims Article Review. Health care costs have become a major issue of concern in the U.S. and defensive medicine practices have become a topic of increased interest among a variety of stakeholders. For this assignment, please visit the Ashford University Library and read the Hermer and Brody article titled “Defensive medicine, cost containment, and reform.” Identify the ways to contain health care costs as well as the potential to reduce costs associated with malpractice claims.
Analyze the following:
- The major points covered in the article.
- The pros and cons of Tort Reform and the practice of defensive medicine.
- The implications of Tort Reform on the practice of defensive medicine, quality of care, and health care costs.
- The author’s position on Tort Reform. Discuss whether you agree or disagree with the author’s opinion on Tort Reform and support your position.
- At least three major stakeholders involved in Tort Reform, their roles, and general positions on the issues discussed in your paper.
This assignment provides an opportunity to gain understanding of two unique issues, the Tort reform and defensive medicine practices. In addition, you will discover how these two issues may contribute to the rising health care costs as well as the delivery of quality health care services from the perspectives of various stakeholders.
Nationwide Health Information Network (N.H.I.N.). Locate the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology found on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ website. Identify and describe at least three initiatives that have been taken by the Office of the National Coordinator to promote the nationwide exchange of health data. How will these initiatives contribute to improved quality, safety, and efficiency of health care? Which of these initiatives do you consider most significant? Explain your answer.
Technology and Health Care. The use of technology has become a major driving force in the delivery of health care services, as well as an area of economic and ethical concern. What is the relationship between technology, health care, and ethics? Can technology have both a positive and a negative impact for health care providers and other stakeholders, such as patients? Has technology changed the role of the health care administrator? Explain your answer.
Regulatory Analysis: Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Care (H.I.T.E.C.H.) Act. The use of technology has become a major driving force for many stakeholders in the health care industry; the HITECH Act is expected to play a major role in advancement. View the video The HITECH Act: Electronic Health Records and Meaningful Use and address the following:
- What are the major provisions and objectives of the H.I.T.E.C.H. Act?
- What are the key requirements of the H.I.T.E.C.H. Act for health care providers?
- What are the responsibilities of health care providers toward “meaningful use”?
- What are at least three challenges that health care providers may confront in taking advantage of the provisions of the H.I.T.E.C.H. Act?
- What role, if any, do you think organizations, such as the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) and the American Medical Association (AMA), should play in the H.I.T.E.C.H. Act? Are they considered stakeholders? Why or why not?
- Is the enactment of the H.I.T.E.C.H. Act an appropriate role for government? Support your opinion.
- What do you predict will be the outcome of the H.I.T.E.C.T. Act in the next five years and why?
Special Populations. Identify three special population groups in the U.S. and explain some of the major health care issues that are unique to each group. Providing examples, analyze the efforts of the U.S. health care system to address the needs of these special population groups. Do you think that the U.S. health care system is doing a good job? Why or why not?
Health Care Policy Initiatives. Provide an example of at least one health care policy or program that has been adopted in your state within the past two years. Describe the impetus for this policy and identify any special population groups that were especially affected. Was the group affected in a positive or negative way? Identify some of the key stakeholders who were involved in initiating the policy or program and their roles in the process.
Focus of the Final Paper
During each week of the course, you have covered various issues and trends associated with the U.S. health care system. For your Final Paper, you will apply the knowledge that you have gained throughout the course and the program of study by analyzing key health policy issues from the perspective of major stakeholders in the U.S. health care system.
The U.S. health care system has been shaped by numerous policies that have been established over a long period. Utilize at least five scholarly sources, including a minimum of three from the Ashford University Library. In an eight- to ten-page paper, address the following:
- Describe general policy making viewpoints that exist today on each of the following health care issues:
- Access to Care
- Cost of Care
- Quality of Care
- Analyze the roles of the five major stakeholder groups or subgroups listed below in influencing health care policy formulation relative to the following issues: access to care, cost of care, and quality of care. Support and justify your ideas with appropriate research. Based on your research, explain the general position or stance of each group or subgroup as it relates to each of the listed issues (access to care, cost of care, and quality of care).
- Governmental agency (e.g., County Medical Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Health care professional association (e.g., American Medical Association, American Nurses Association)
- Direct or indirect health care providing organization (e.g., hospital, long-term health care facility, pharmaceutical manufacturer, managed care organization)
- Politicians (e.g., political party, President, U.S. Senate)
- Patients (e.g., general population, special populations)
- Evaluate the pros and cons associated with the involvement of the stakeholders in each group or subgroup in health care policymaking, including their position and their influence on the issues.
- Predict the future direction of health care policy on each of the issues (access to care, cost of care, and quality of care). From the perspective of a health care administrator, include a critical reflection on the social, cultural, economic, ethical, and regulatory implications as well as the changes required to promote the outcome that you envision. Devote at least one paragraph to each of the issues listed above.
Present an overview on the concept and definition of Leadership, including a discussion of the various myths associated with the term. Then, detail the principle difference between leadership and management. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings